Add to Technorati Favorites

Idea IS the format

The occasional downtime of Daniel W. E. Light
   or   

Ploggle Updates  -  What is Ploggle?

Twitter Updates    I'm 'danlight' on Twitter - follow me

Thursday 8 May 2008

The Dark Knight returns

I'm about a week late with these, but hell, I can't be everywhere at once.



I love the way the fire brings a warmth to this piece of artwork, writing destruction upon Gotham in Batman's own motif, supplemented by a pleasingly unostentatious copy line. There's a real ambiguity here - the bat-sign feels like an open wound in a city where true heroism sometimes requires you to amputate a limb in order to preserve the body.
___



Batman almost looks as though he is on horseback here, reminiscent of the original American vigilantes, bringing rough justice to a wild, lawless and amoral west. This one-sheet is also scarred with a little heat and warmth, emphasising it's otherwise gothic feel.
___



Here they are - the triumvirate of moral misdirection. I love the way we're seeing them like this, shoulder to shoulder, each with something to hide. Each character has been so strongly developed through the campaign, I'm already seeing past the players who portray them, and into the world they inhabit.
___



This echoes one of the earlier teasers in terms of how it situates Batman. It's a strange, bold piece of artwork, seeming to capture a moment in isolation, putting Batman at odds with Gotham itself.
_ _ _

Disclosure: there are a lot of big movies coming out this summer, and I'm lucky enough to be working on most of them, including this one. However, as I've said before, if anybody thinks I'm blogging this for any other reason than because I'm childishly excited about The Dark Knight, they should come say it to my face. Between The Dark Knight and Watchmen, now is the time for the genre of comics in film to mature in the same way the printed equivalents did back in the early eighties. That's what I'm gunning for. And it has fuck all to do with marketing.

Labels:


posted by Dan Light  # 23:47
del.icio.usdiggspurlwistssimpynewsvineblinklistfurlredditfarkblogmarksyahoo bookmarkssmarkingmagnoliasegnalogift tagging
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

September 2007   October 2007   November 2007   December 2007   January 2008   February 2008   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008   July 2008   August 2008   September 2008   October 2008  


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]